Sunday, 29 August 2010

You Can't Hide From Me


I decided it was time for people to know what I look like.
This is me on one of my better days.


Today’s post is dedicated to a new follower.

Why?

Because you drove me nuts.

Let me tell you how this happened - the process took place over a few days and was as follows:

Woop, woop! New follower! *punching air with fist*

(Blogging is like Facebook; Facebook + 1,000,001 friends = I’m so popular! Blogging + 1,000,001 followers = I’m so popular!

*hanging head* I’m so shallow.)

Then:

Hmm, they obviously don’t mind reading about (in no particular order) my occasional insanity, my swearing, my mouth before brain exploits and the occasional rant. Cool.

(At this point I could rant about the journey I took on Saturday. The one that should have taken me an hour and a half. The one that ended up taking me four hours. But hey, that’s the M25 for you – well known as the world’s biggest car park - and I probably got off lightly, so I won’t.)

Then:

Hmm, who are they? *holds mouse over picture* Hmm, matchison. Okay, matchison, let’s be nosey have a look at your blog. *click on picture*

Then:

Oh. Bugger. They haven’t linked to their blog. I can’t see their profile; all I can see is who they’re following. Okay, let’s peruse their list.

Ooh, we have two in common. Hmm, let’s see if matchison has left a comment somewhere – I’ll see their little picture and their name next to the comment, then I can click on that and get to their blog that way. Plan. *high five self*

Okay, nothing there. Let’s try another blog. Okaaay, nothing there either. Let’s try another one. Nope. And another. Noooo.

Then:

Hmm, lemme think. Is that matchison, ma tch i son, mat chi son, match is on? Ooh, that sounds promising. What match? Are they a sports fan? No wait, apart from me and one other, the others are gardening blogs. Hmph. *frowning heavily and tapping chin with finger* Why am I even going down this path? It's not going to help.

Then:

Aargh!

WHO ARE YOU? WHERE’S YOUR BLOG??

Then:

Uh Bub, calm down okay? Aaand breathe. Go do something else.

(At this point I could tell you about the argument my next-door neighbours had the other night.

The one where Mrs Wotshername was going on and on at Mr Wotshisname. The one where things got quite heated.

The one where I nearly dropped the glass I was holding against the wall to hear better I got quite concerned after hearing something being thrown.

The one where I thought their baby must have been drugged I was very surprised because their baby didn’t wake up. But unfortunately it wasn’t in English, so I won’t.)

Then:

Okay, let’s have another go, matchison must have left a comment somewhere. I need to find out who they are. I don’t like this feeling of not knowing. I have to know.

Then:

Okay. Match. Is. On. Literally. I’m going to find your blog. I AM GOING TO HUNT YOU DOWN.

Then:

I can’t find you. *sobbing quietly*

Then:

Uh Bub? Step. Away. From. The. Computer. You’re getting a teeny bit obsessed. Go out.

(At this point I could tell you about the get-together I went to. The one where I mainly went because the friend whose house it was held at has a video of me performing a very drunken Dancing Queen karaoke duet and who threatened to post it on YouTube if I didn’t go. The one I was really looking forward to going to.

The one where the obnoxious when drunk slightly inebriated husband of one friend accidentally kicked the one of the legs of the cheaply made fire pit, causing it to give way.

The one where the fire pit tipped and nearly set fire to a seventy-nine year old woman. The one where the also drunk tipsy owner of the fire pit tried to pick up the burning logs from the patio wearing a pair of oven gloves.

But after telling the old lady she should enter the long jump at the 2012 Olympics the old lady was thankfully unharmed, and those of us who weren’t as pissed as a fart under the influence stopped the man with the oven gloves, therefore all was okay, so I won’t.)

Then:

Right. I can do this. I will find your blog. I’m just gonna chill out about this. *clicking on and reading random comments*

Then:

Ooh, who’s that? *click on profile* No, I don't think... Wait a minute. Ohhhh. Gotcha! *standing up, doing a victory dance*

So, welcome to Marguerite at Canoe Corner. I eventually found you, even though you don’t use the same picture or name on your profile as the ones displayed when you follow someone. I must admit that so far, I haven’t read through your blog yet, because my brain hurts. However, I promise I will. But *muttering darkly* I know where you live*.

*I’m a pussycat really, wouldn’t hurt a fly - honest. Actually, flies I do hurt, but you know what I mean.

11 comments:

  1. No wonder you have weirdos coming on to you. Stop pretending my picture is yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! Damn I had a good laugh over this one. Sorry for the confusion Bub. I'm actually very new to the blogging world and have never 'followed' a blog before. I decided this weekend I would try this for the first time. The first blog I followed I didn't even manage to attach a photo. I have no idea how I would link to my blog, I thought this was automatic. guess not! Anyway, I'm glad you found me. Apparently your sleuthing skills are first rate.
    p.s. Kyna is really the one to blame here, she mentioned your blog last week and I lost half a day at work reading about the widow and the pit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered the same thing when I saw matchison on my profile. But unlike you, I just let unknown people follow me without question lol. Marguerite is pretty cool. :) Fucking Canadians, have to be so mysterious...;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bub, I came across you via the redoubtable Isobel and have found your experience of the Blogosphere as amazingly confused as my own. However, as for tracking me down, that will be easy since the name is the same as on the tin so to speak. I do not, however, resemble the statue in real life!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am cracking up! Wow! What sleuthy skills you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haaa ha ha ha *wipes tears from eyes* that cartoon is awesome and now supersedes the thought photo of you I had. I'd kind of pictured you in capri pants, ballet flats and a man's button down shirt - a la Audrey - and now, unfortunately, I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is: Oh! Silly me. Now I've sussed why I attract the weirdos - lack of clothing.

    Marguerite: Well at least it dusted off a few of my brain cells!

    To link your blog so that it shows in the box that pops up when your flower picture is clicked (no idea what the flower is, so will not embarrass myself by trying to guess):

    After you’ve signed in to Blogger and you have the Dashboard on screen in front of you, under the Reading List section click on Manage.

    This will bring up the list of blogs you’re following. Click on Settings next to one, and it will open another box called ‘Add a link to your profile’.

    Click on the Add Links option. You can either type in your blog name and the URL, or hopefully it will be listed so you can just tick the box next to your blog name.

    When you’ve ticked the box, click the Add button. That box will close, then click the Done button, that box will close too.

    Just doing one should set it for all the others too but if it doesn’t, unfortunately you’ll have to do the same for each blog you follow.

    Here endeth the lesson ;o)

    Kyna: I am inherently nosey and I love a good poke around other blogs. Mysterious Canadians won't hold me back for long!

    Edith: Welcome! I'm so glad that a) you're easy to track as I'm still in recovery, and b) you don't look like the statue.

    Dog with a bone Melissa, dog with a bone.

    CGL: I'm so sorry to shatter your illusions. Perhaps I ought to have maintained an air of mystery. I just thought I should set the record straight that the header photo of the woman on the beach in Australia with the FANTASTIC (IMHO) legs isn't me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How's that for subliminal messages then? I'm an advertiser's dream. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bub, it was so interesting to read the step-by-step description of your stalking process. I'm sure we've all done something similar, but never really thought about how crazy it would seem if someone could actually see what you're doing.

    I didn't even know that you could follow someone with a different name/picture than your blogger profile. I have noticed that some followers have their blog listed when you click on their picture, and others don't.

    But isn't it also possible that some followers just don't have blogs of their own, so no amount of sleuthing would allow you to find a blog that just doesn't exist? I believe Blogger does let you create an account so you can follow others, without requiring you to have your own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, I just learned something new today. Thanks Bub!

    ReplyDelete
  11. CGL: ;D

    t2g: Yes, you're right. I've come across followers who, although they have an account, don't have a blog - real stalkers! - but for the most part they do have an easily accessible profile.

    There are also people who limit access to their blog; they always make me wonder what they're blogging about.

    I've been tempted, on occasion, to start another totally separate, anonymous blog with controlled access, so that I can REALLY let rip to get stuff out of my system!

    Marguerite: You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete