However she did and, as I wrote previously, I went. And I’m glad I did. It also gave me the opportunity to see the lifestyle that Eldest Daughter has, so now when I talk to her on the phone, I can visualise some of the places she talks about.
As it was my first visit, I mainly stayed in the Sydney area and did the tourist things. I don’t know about you, but after seeing places on the television or in book, to actually see them always amazes me. They really do exist!
Not only did I see Sydney Harbour Bridge, Eldest Daughter and I did the Bridge Climb, however we chose to do it at night. The views were spec-tac-u-lar.
I’d like to point out Eldest Daughter and I do actually have faces, and not blurry blob features in real life.
Just sayin’.
I also discovered what kangaroos and peacocks have in common.
They both eat Cheerios. Seriously. Who knew?
However, this guinea fowl decided Cheerios weren’t flavour of the month.
Nope, Cheerios held no attraction whatsoever for this little bugger. It wanted toes. Toes that were exposed. My toes to be precise. It bloody hurt. Bastard.
One of the highlights of my stay, apart from spending time with Eldest Daughter, Captain Oz and his parents (who were wonderful and very welcoming), was the tandem skydive.
Captain Oz was the one who suggested the three of us do it, half joking and never thinking I’d accept the challenge. He’s got a lot to learn about me. Heh.
After some pre-flight instructions, we got into this aircraft:
The plane took off, climbed to 14,000 feet, then basically, with each of us strapped to an instructor, we fell out of it:
We had a freefall (in other words we plummeted like a stone towards the earth) lasting about sixty seconds before the parachute was deployed.
Was I scared?
No! I absolutely loved it. Was Eldest Daughter scared? A little apprehensive I think when she saw me fall out of the aircraft, but she loved it too. Was Captain Oz scared? Hell yes! Although when he actually did it, he really enjoyed it. Afterwards we all agreed we’d do it again, given half a chance.
Apart from spending time on various beaches, and yes Bondi Beach was one of them, I did other touristy things while I was in Australia, spending a fair amount of the time in the city.
I have to say generally speaking, I’m definitely not a city person, I much prefer the countryside and smaller towns and villages. For me, cities are just too busy and too crowded, although I’m glad I’ve seen Sydney.
I told Eldest Daughter on my next visit I’d like to explore some of the more out of the way places and experience the more laid-back Aussie attitude to life.
I could write at length about my two weeks over there; I really did have a jam-packed time (some of them being: talking to a tour guide who, during the course of our conversation, I discovered originally comes from a town about twenty miles from where I live; running through the bush in a national park to avoid snakes in my quest to get to the amazing beach pictured in my blog header; getting slightly worse for wear one evening, having a kebab then sending a drunken email to a friend back here in the UK singing the praises of Oz kebabs over UK kebabs… Uncultured? Moi? ) but this post would probably end up half a mile long and even I’d get bored reading it!
Besides, I've got a little something else to add.
Which leads me on to…
Part Three
A few weeks ago, it was decided I’d travel to Australia again to spend some more time out there. So next May, I’ll be making that epic journey once again, although I’ll definitely choose a different airline to try and even out the time in the air.
I’ll be spending at least a month, if not longer out there, but it’s unlikely I’ll be visiting much of the countryside or anywhere else for that matter.
Instead, hopefully I’ll get there in time to welcome my first grandchild into the world.
Yay!
But, me… a grandmother.
Bahahaha!









Bub , that's fantastic news! Congratulations to all concerned.
ReplyDeleteI love Oz too, very nearly stayed there when I was lucky enough to go on tour there, back in my youth when I worked for a ballet company as a stage manager. Would never dream of going skydiving though, can't even dive into a swimming pool. And anything that draws so much attention to my bum would never do!
Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteWe were in Australia years ago. The flight nearly killed us but we loved every second that we were there. We spent Christmas day on Bondi Beach eating turkey sandwiches. (My Mum had always said that the Aussies eat their turkey on the beach so we had to do it.)
Can't remember where it was but we went to some place with deadly snakes. The beach there was beautiful, as was the dingo who wandered down for a visit.
Yay Grandma Bub!
ReplyDeleteIf you get time between catching up with Eldest Daughter, Captain Oz and Baby Wotsit, come down to Crazy Farm!
oh my goodness, jumping out of an airplane!! crap, when I visited Australia I just drank a lot. The photo of you on the bridge is spectacular. Can't wait to hear what you've got in store for you on the next trip.
ReplyDeleteDear Bub, You really are the adventurous sort! I have to be semi-comatose to be put into a plane seat never mind throwing myself out of an open plane door. And, as for climbing the Harbour Bridge by night.....
ReplyDeleteBut, what joyous news of your first grandchild. Definitely reason to make the return visit!!
Is: Thank you, I've been walking around with a massive, but soppy, grin on my face for weeks!
ReplyDeleteTrust me, no-one thinks about looking at anyone else's bum when a skydive is imminent!!
Liz: Thank you!
For some reason I never gave snakes a thought when we were in the bush, until Eldest Daughter told me to stay close to her, make noise and don't look down.
I swore.
A lot.
Then pushed her out of the way and ran!
CGL: Grandma Bub?! *snort* Baby Wotsit?! Bahaha!
I may just take you up on that! ;D
Marguerite: Don't worry, I drank a lot too! We chose to climb the bridge at night as we knew the lights would make a fantastic background for the photo.
I'm expecting my next trip to include the words, "You can do it!" and "Push!" To be later followed by Captain Oz and I smoking a big fat cigar each!
Edith: Having been raised with a 'can do' attitude, as a teenager I spent a week at an outdoor education centre in Wales, then the following couple of years went to the Peak District in Derbyshire.
At both places I rock-climbed, abseiled, canoed and pot-holed. It all gave me a real sense of achievement, confidence and a life-long willingness to give almost anything a go.
I'm very excited about the baby! I'm not so excited about the flights however.
Congratulations! Isn't 'Bubbie' a term for Grandma in like Yiddish or something? :)
ReplyDeleteThe only thing I'm worried about is how your upcoming grandchild is going to fare in the schoolyard with a blurry face. It's gotta be genetic...O_O ;)
As a woman who stated 'I love plane turbulence' in the last post, I'm completely unsurprised that you accepted the skydiving challenge. I am not one of these women. I've got a lot of balls, but my balls prefer not to be thrown out of a flying plane.
You're a crazy biatch, Bubbie, that's why we love ya ;)
Thanks Kyna, for both the congrats and the love!
ReplyDeleteI googled 'Bubbie' and the Urban Dictionary has four definitions:
1. Term of endearment/name for a Jewish Grandmother. (interchangeable with Grandma)
2. Common nickname for a beloved child, especially young babies.
3. Slang word for a woman's breast.
4. A hot Polish/Irish Guy with a huge penis
But:
a) I'm not Jewish
b) I'm not a young baby, although if you ask my parents, I could be a beloved child (albeit allegedly a grown up)
c) I actually have two breasts
d) I'm not Polish, or Irish, last time I checked I'm not a guy and I definitely don't have a penis, huge or otherwise.
Out of the four choices, I'd pick #1, otherwise it could get very confusing round here ;)
We're really hoping the blurry face trait will not pass on down the line. (As an aside, you now have an idea what I can see without my glasses on - fuck all.)
Btw, the day I found out about the baby I roared with laughter. Why? Because later that day you posted I Don't Hate Babies and I couldn't say a word!!
I'd stop off in Asia for a few days; you can buy some great over-the-counter sleeping pills that will make the second leg of journey fly by (did you see what I did there?).
ReplyDeleteAs for the baby, well, it's a pink noise and smell machine. If you get your jollies watching your offspring push one of those out of her clacker, so be it. Me? I'd rather see a kangaroo fight a fat lady!
IG: Being ex-cabin crew, I don't think I could bring myself to take a sleeping tablet. I don't drink alcohol on flights either and I tend to sit and mentally criticize the working crew.
ReplyDeleteI've just re-read that. I need to loosen up. Maybe I'll take valium instead.
Having been there and done that, yes, babies are stinky and noisy, but in this case most of the time it'll be the opposite side of the world to me. As yet, odour can't be delivered via the internet so I'll get off lightly!
If watching a kangaroo fighting a fat woman floats your boat, and if an opportunity should arise, I'll video it for you!
I can't get my damn posts to post! It keeps locking up on me right after I right something brilliantly funny. IF this goes through - yay on the grandbaby, looks like it was a GREAT time, lovely AND I love turbulence, too. and that disturbs people. glad to know I am not alone.
ReplyDeleteright, write? wth? I blame it on anger. or ignorance. or laziness. or blah, blah, blah.
ReplyDeleteMelissa, Just as you are not alone in loving plane turbulence, you can now sleep at night knowing you're not alone in having an attack of the blah, blah, blahs - it happens to me ALL the time.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on becoming a grandmother in the making!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Lyn!
ReplyDelete