While chatting and having a quick catch-up with a friend on the phone the other day, we spoke briefly about my blog, which I know she reads regularly.
She, Libby, commented with a little surprise about how much I’ve written and what I find to write about.
I have to admit I’m rather surprised too, as when I started it a few months ago, I truly thought it would it would be a flash-in-the-pan affair and I’d lose interest quite quickly. The last time I wrote anything of any length, apart from shopping lists, was when posters of Starsky and Hutch were pinned to my bedroom walls, later followed by Adam Ant when I was at school twenty-*cough cough* years ago.
I had no idea at all what I’d write about. I knew I wouldn’t be writing about recipes as I only cook because I have to, and nowadays will do what I can to get out of it – even to the point where my oven packed up just before Youngest Daughter left in May and I didn’t bother getting it fixed. The hob is separate from the oven, so I wasn’t totally without means of cooking. Getting the oven mended was one of those ‘I’ll phone up about it tomorrow’ jobs.
What?
Look, it was summer and I barbecued. A lot.
And ate salad. A lot.
So, having established that cooking wasn’t going to be a theme, or gardening (like gardens, loath worms), scrapbooking, card making (that’s what shops are for), or any other innocent pastime, I just decided to go with the flow and see what happened.
Libby asked me where I get my inspiration from and I told her that while I don’t actively look for things to write about, something small may happen, or someone makes a tiny comment that tickles me, then the germ of an idea takes root and I start writing. The crap Ideas just seem to keep on coming, flowing out of my brain, via my fingertips and keyboard, into my computer.
I also use blogging as a way to occasionally let off a bit of steam, which you’ll have noticed if you’ve read some of my previous posts. I find it quite therapeutic and in one case it opened my eyes to a nasty situation, which was then dealt with.
Aside from writing, blogging has also opened up access to an online community that I had no idea of before; one that I believe I would have remained in ignorance of, if my sister hadn’t introduced me to her blog.
There are all manner of brilliant blogs out there; I’ve found houses I’d love to move into, places I’d like to visit and gardens I sigh over. I've acquired a slight case of chicken envy, as for a few years I’ve thought about keeping chickens, but it hasn’t happened although I’m not ruling it out (however I think the many local foxes would set up camp in my garden, tents and everything). Best of all in blogland, I’ve found humour by the bucketload. I admit I do a lot of lurking in the background and I read far, far more blogs than I comment on.
While I was talking to Libby, one of the cats – Grumpy – broke a plate in the kitchen. Not in a joyful Greek plate-smashing sort of way (opa!) but more of a look-I’m-on-the-worktop-whaddya-gonna-do-about-it-oh-shit-it-wasn’t-me sort of way.
So while I was holding the phone in one hand and sweeping broken bits of plate up with a broom in the other, she jokingly asked me if I’d write about it. I laughed and replied no. After all, how would I get a post out of a broken plate?
Well. Like this apparently.
So there you are Libby – just for you, I’ve written more drivel a post is born.

Bub, can I just say, thank you for entertaining me with your drivel. It's always a pleasure. My blog is only just 7 months old and I too wondered when I started if I would run out of stuff to say. So far so good but the big challenge as a garden blogger will be to see what I can write about in the off season. Bothersome cats might be making more appearances in the future.
ReplyDeleteChicken envy, eh. You know, you could get a picture of one and make a poster for your wall, à la Starsky and Hutch. Posters don't form labour unions.
ReplyDeleteI agree - the crap bloggers come up with to write about is amazing. And it's what keeps us all coming back. Write on! (ooh, that was bad wasn't it?)
aw thank you!!!! I'm famous too now! x
ReplyDeleteHi Bub,
ReplyDeleteNow look what you went and made me do, I'm singing Kylie and Jason!!! Arghhhh.
Being slightly left of bonkers can be an entertaining state of being....and then when you write about it, it becomes a perfect symbiosis of a mad life and words. What can go wrong with that, other than attracting other people to your blog who are also slightly left of bonkers, and we all know that two lefts can't make a right, but they can make a write, and often do. Even about a broken plate.
ReplyDeletei also decided to go with the flow and see what happened, but i am afraid that my laziness will be stronger then my will to write.. hope that wont happen..
ReplyDeleteMarguerite: Thank you and you're welcome! I quite often find I manage to keep myself amused by some of the things I write and for other people to enjoy it is a bonus!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you'll manage to branch out and find things to write about other than gardening during the winter months. Heh. Branch... Gardening... never mind.
Liz: Hmm, chicken poster. While it is true there'd be no union movement, it just wouldn't be the same. Nor would threatening a poster with the oven for non-production. Btw, your picture cracked me up. Heh. Chickens... Eggs... Cracked... never mind.
Libby: You're welcome! Bet you're going to be careful what you say to me in the future!! ;D
Liz: I'm so, so sorry - that just didn't occur to me (much) when I wrote the title. I hope it didn't last too long.
CGL: If someone had told me I'd weave a broken plate into a future post, I'd have looked at them sideways. In a slightly left of bonkers way of course. *cackle*
mare: Hi, thanks for dropping by! I've found that writing has become a habit. If there's a period where I haven't written anything for a while, I start getting twitchy. Hopefully your will to write will win and you'll get the habit too!
There you go, a post about a plate falling off a worktop. Damn you, you're like those magicians who give away how the tricks are done!
ReplyDeleteFall down a hole you've dug yourself? Blog post.
Drill through your thumb? Blog post.
Go out with a cross-eyed carinetist? Blog post.
Just don't tell the rest of the world; they believe this sort of crap is 'insightful'.
A bloke I know looked at my blog and commented how I made my 'philosophical' points behind the veil of idiocy. He said it was 'zen-like'. I nodded sagely, not mentioning that I did actually fall down a hole I had dug.
As he left, I did think: 'You stupid cock'.
Oh.
ReplyDeleteBugger.
I obviously missed that bit when I skipped past the terms and conditions while signing up to Blogger (er, by 'skipped past' I mean 'read very, very, very carefully').
Ah well, this post will soon get buried amongst the rest of the dross, then the world can go back to believing bloggers are full of depth and that Father Christmas really exists.
Oops, did I just give something else away?