Last January, wanting to see Eldest Daughter under better circumstances than the last time I’d seen her - she came home for a month immediately after Significant Other died - and getting seriously hacked off with the snow, I decided to visit Australia for the first time. It would also be an opportunity to meet her boyfriend, Captain Oz, and his family.
At the beginning of February, Youngest Daughter dropped me off at Heathrow at stupid o’clock in the morning and as check-in opened, I was waved onto the red carpet area in front of the First Class desk.
Wahaaay, RESULT!
I stood there, outwardly ready to graciously accept first class travel, inwardly jumping up and down with excitement. But there was no upgrade for me unfortunately - they were just spreading the passengers across the desks to speed up check-in.
Sod it.
Then I thought ah well, I’ll just pretend I’m going to fly First Class.
I have to say, I felt
However, pride always comes before a fall.
I put my suitcase on the scale and the guy, who was a very nice man (but not nice enough to upgrade me), informed me it was overweight. He suggested I remove some items from the case and put them into my hand luggage (now, in la-la land, an upgrade to First Class would have counteracted the overweight case, but it was not to be).
So there was I, with my face matching the colour of the carpet, sitting on the floor, thinking I was being gawped at by other passengers, scrabbling around in my suitcase, taking things out, trying to keep my underwear in, getting the case re-weighed, only to find I hadn’t removed enough.
The check-in man took pity on me, and gave me a shoulder bag to put all my books, magazines and chocolate into (mega-sized bars for Eldest Daughter, who misses Cadbury’s), to carry onto the plane.
After the first flight to Dubai, lasting six and a half hours, followed by a mind-numbingly boring stopover of five hours, I then sat on another plane for what felt like a week, but was actually about thirteen and a half hours, to Sydney.
During the flights, for a bit of interest, I was hoping we’d hit some turbulence. I love turbulence. Seriously. A couple of times we were instructed to put our seat-belts on and I eagerly awaited the plane to start bouncing around, but ended up severely disappointed when it didn’t happen.
After landing, one of the next tasks was to get through border control.
I stood in front of the desk and handed over the completed immigration card and my passport.
The guy looked at my passport.
He looked at me.
He looked at my passport again, frowned, then raised his eyebrows and said, “That’s not you!”
I was tired, my eyes felt like they had bags underneath them that could hold a month’s worth of shopping and I desperately wanted a shower. I was just about to reply that the photo wasn’t great (it’s so bad, I have a strict need-to-view policy – if you don’t need to view it, you are definitely not seeing it) and that I was knackered when he said, “There’s no way you’re that old!”
“Um…” I responded.
“Strewth! You’re looking good for your age!” (He said strewth – yay!)
“Um…” was my witty reply.
“Well, have a great stay and I hope I’ll see you around.”
“Um… thank you so much,” was my typically British response.
When I related this to Eldest Daughter later, she rolled her eyes and sighed, “Oh Mother. You pulled.”
I did?
Strewth.

Dear Bub, There is absolutely no way that I could be in an aeroplane for this length of time - First Class, Economy or Cargo - I should simply be hysterical with the thought of it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a pity that you were not upgraded, however, since I am sure that the whole experience would have been improved ten times over. How do you manage to pass the time?
I look forward to hearing your views of Australia, which I assume is contained in part 2. I have never yearned to see any part of the Southern Hemisphere so am interested to know what your impressions were.
Once, in Viet Nam, I puirchased a very good (but fake) Mont Blanc suitcase that Mrs IG wanted. She was worried about it getting scratched by the baggage handlers, so I boxed it up. At the airport we were told that we could check two items per person on the Hanoi to Hong Kong leg, but only one per person on the Hong Kong to London leg.
ReplyDeleteI asked how much it was for an extra bag, and was told it would cost a mere £230. Understandably, I turned down the offer.
The only solution was to either ditch the case (it had cost about $10 after serious haggling for over an hour) or to pack it in my bag (Mrs IG's wasn';t big enough). I suggested leaving it, and she sulked, so I had to empty my case, put the new case in, and then fill the new case inside my bag.
I had a surplus of stuff, so we had to decide what I would leave and what I would take home. Mrs IG promised me new socks and pants, so they stayed, plus a few shirts that were getting long in the tooth stayed. Seeing the pile of rejected clothing (albeit dirty clothing), the airport cleaning staff started to circle.
Finally, I managed to get what I could in and we wnet back to the check-in queue. I figured I'd better get rid of the pile of crap I'd left on the floor about ten seconds earlier, but when I turned around, it was all gone.
We Aussie's love the accent.
ReplyDeleteAny accent really.
And we're all natural flirts.
Is it any wonder Shane Warne has got into so much trouble? Stay away from him, Bub, you really don't know where he's been.
Edith: To have been upgraded would have made the journey much, much more bearable.
ReplyDeleteTo pass time, I read a book, watched a couple of films and listened to music. I also managed to sleep for quite some time on the way there, but found during the last three hours ALL I wanted to do was lay down, but couldn't. By the time the plane landed in Sydney, I was feeling very twitchy to say the least.
The flights home were even longer (due to flying into the headwind) and for some reason I was unable to sleep. That was not pleasant!
IG: Although I can see your point about the extortionate amount of money for an extra case (for £230 you'd want the case to have it's own seat, plus meals and drinks), I'm with Mrs IG; I'd have sulked too.
I wonder if there's someone in Hanoi walking around in your abandoned socks, pants and shirts. If so, I hope they washed them first!
CGL: I will bear what you say in mind for the future, and should I ever come across Shane Warne (highly unlikely) I'll say, "Oi! Warne! NO!"
'Strewth'...hm. Never heard that one *Googles*
ReplyDelete