I have a newly acquired habit.
A vampire habit to be precise.
Before you start searching for stakes, crosses and garlic in the fear I have become a member of the undead, let me reassure you that I’m very much alive, I don’t have fangs (although I do have a bark (wait, do vampires bark?) and I have been known to bite on rare occasions), I don’t have any aversion to sunlight and I definitely have no penchant for sucking virgins drinking blood.
I’m talking about reading vampire stories.
I read the four books in the Twilight series a while back and although I thought they were okay, with the last book being the best of them, I wouldn’t rush to read them again.
I then started the first book in the series that True Blood is based on. I’ve never watched True Blood and now I probably won’t because I am majorly hooked, in a yeah-I’ll-start-dinner-in-a-minute-I-just-need-to-read-this-chapter-what’s-that?-okay-you-cook-I’ll-help-you-in-a-minute-what’s-that?-dinner’s ready?-oh-thanks-noooo-I’ve-got-to-put-the-book-down-to-cut-my-food-up-dammit sort of way on the books.
I’ve also been told the tv series is quite gory, and I categorically do not do gory. However, I am curious as to whether the character Bubba appears in the show, not due to the resemblance of my 'name' I hasten to add, but because before he became a fictional vampire he was someone very, very famous in real life. I think I may have to put on my Blue Suede Shoes and head to Heartbreak Hotel, because I'd be feeling All Shook Up if he wasn't (I do apologise, but I couldn't resist it).
When I’ve watched film or tv adaptations of books, I find I’m left disappointed and something other than my brain takes control of my mouth, as I just cannot stop myself saying, “That’s not how it bloody happened in the bloody book.” Or, “Jeez, the book is SO much better.” Or I become an ‘expert’ and declare, “I could have made the flippin’ film and done a much better job of it.”
That doesn’t go down too well if I’m at the cinema, and it tends to make whoever I’m with sink down in their seat, while trying to hide their face in their popcorn bucket.
Note to self: Find new, unsuspecting victims to go to the cinema with. OR don’t go to the cinema anymore. OR stop reading (yeah right, like THAT’s going to happen).
The Harry Potter films, with the exception of the first one, are a fine example of ballsed up adaptations. It got to the point where I didn’t bother going to the cinema when new films were released; I waited until they were for sale on DVD.
Then I sat through them getting more and more huffy and muttering, “It’s wrong. They’ve got it wrong.” Youngest Daughter’s response was typically something along the lines of, “Shut up.”
I’ve tried watching the last HP film twice, but both times I fell asleep on the sofa.
Nuff said.
I must have been totally out for the count on the second occasion, as I was absolutely unaware of Youngest Daughter taking a photo of me because, “the cats looked really cute snuggled up to you.” Oh bless, I thought.
You know how sometimes there are things you’re better off not knowing, and you can live day to day in blissful ignorance?
I saw the photo.
Yes, the cats did look sweet but...
Oh. Dear. God.
I did not know I looked like that when I sleep. I look… dreadful. Worse than dreadful. I look… undead.
When Eldest Daughter comes over from Australia, she wants us to go to the cinema to see the latest instalment together. Are you sure about that Eldest Daughter? You may have to gag me, or sit somewhere else and deny all association to me, as it’s highly likely I’ll either shout or snore.
Actually, please don’t let me fall asleep at the cinema.
Getting staked would spoil my evening.

LOVE Charlaine Harris' books, I've read all 10.
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVE the True Blood series. The series and the books differ in a lot of ways, but I love them both for different reasons.
The show is gory, but in a campy sort of way. There are some GREAT actors in that show (and some not so great as well lol). I highly recommend it.
Hi Buba,
ReplyDeleteI also love the books, and although have to admit the last book leaves a lot to be desired and I really think it's about time she finished them...
Sadly no, Bubba does not appear in the series, which I think is a big mistake. Not that they ought to have Elvis, but just the character of a bodyguard. Since he's such an important part in the books and appears in pretty much all of them.
Don't watch the series and expect it to be the same as the books. Love each for their own merits.
(something I confess to find really hard, especially with season 3)
Oh no, did I really just address you as buba!!!! So sorry :P
ReplyDeleteAnother big True Blood fan, love the humour and just avert my eyes at the gory bits cos I overempathise. I didn't know there were books, even better! Have you ever read "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"?The film's great but the book is soooo much more.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read any True Blood books but I did read Laurel K. Hamilton's vampire hunter books. They became boring after a while so I've been on a vampire book hiatus. Haven't given up on vampires completely as I have a vampire tarot deck in the post :-)
ReplyDeleteTrue Blood - both books and show - are fantastic! After the first few episodes, True Blood the show becomes more of an 'inspired by' than accurate portrayal, but I love it for it's utter utter madness! Some parts of the 'inspired by' have truly upset me though - Calvin Norris for example - they've done the character in the book a major disservice with his tv counterpart.
ReplyDeleteI can feel myself getting all worked up just thinking about it - even though it's all make believe (in the campest possible way), Charlaine Harris has a way of making you feel emotionally invested in her characters. I have shouted at the telly in my extreme distress over the way they've treated poor Calvin!
I must say that the only time I've liked a film more than a book was Apocalypse Now, because Heart of Darkness is just such a stilted read. Okay, it's a completely different angle in the film, but the book lacked the edge that makes the plot more rivetting in the film.
ReplyDeleteMust agree with Is about Cuckoo's Nest; a great read, as is Kesey's Sometimes A Great Notion, which gets forgotten because of Cuckoo's Nest.
I'm amazed that no one has ever made a film of Confederacy of Dunces. It's got to be one of the all-time classic books. In fact, I'm glad no one has (or if they have I don't know about it), because they'd only balls it up!
Dear Santa,
ReplyDeleteSeeing as I've been good this year (mostly), I'd like:
True Blood Series One (I'll slap my hands over my eyes during the gory bits), One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (the book), and a name change ;)