Saturday, 6 November 2010

Tough Doodahs, That’s The Risk You Take

 sucking-a-lemon

Mr Fixit came to look at the non-working oven the other day and even though he was a nice bloke and even though I batted my eyelashes at him willing him to mend said oven (prompting him to ask if I had something in my eye), it turned out he was actually Mr Couldn’t Fixit.

My oven is an ex-oven - it has ceased to be. Permanently. This now means one of two things; 1) Christmas dinner really will be from the local kebab shop (note to self: NEVER joke about things like this again, it could will become reality) or, 2) buy a new oven.

As with most things in (my) life, there’s a story behind the dead oven.

When we moved here, the double oven in the kitchen worked, but it was on its way out. So Significant Other, being Significant Other, sat himself in front of the computer, logged onto eBay, searched and kept a watch on several ovens (with me hovering in the background doing some serious eye rolling, muttering about warranties and guarantees and being totally ignored).

If you eBay, you’ll know that many people start their auction items at 99p in an effort to attract more bids. If you don’t eBay, you’ve just learnt something (ooh, get me! I have imparted knowledge). A few of the ovens he watched had a start price of 99p, and over a few days they increased in price.

Except for one.

Yes, you’ve guessed it. He was the only bidder and won the oven for 99p.

Ninety-nine pence.

Less than one pound.

For a double oven.

I kid you not.

When we drove to the other side of London to collect it, he wondered whether he ought to offer more money, as he was ever so slightly embarrassed at the thought of handing over a pound coin instead of a bundle of notes.

Me, being the hard woman that I occasionally am, pointed out the person selling the oven knew the risk they were taking at starting their auction at such a low price and if they’d wanted more, they should have made the start price higher. In other words, tough shit.

We got to the house, rang the doorbell and the woman who answered looked like she’d been sucking particularly sharp lemons - she was not happy, and looked at us like we’d crawled out from under a rock. Well I’m sorry, but a) it wasn’t our fault she didn’t get more bids and therefore a higher final price, b) tough shit, and most importantly, c) tough shit.

While Significant Other was talking to her, I could tell he was itching to offer her more money. So I trod on his foot. He shut up.

We loaded the oven into the car and Significant Other gave her a pound coin.

She gave him a penny change.

Seriously.

Significant Other was deeply embarrassed and tried to find a way to say he didn’t want it; “Keep the change.” “No, no that’s okay.” “No. Really.” “Don’t worry about it.” All failed. She insisted on giving him the penny change. We managed to give the woman a coherent goodbye then drove away, but had to park around the corner as we were both laughing so much at buying an oven and getting change from a pound.

The 99p oven was fitted in the kitchen and worked like a charm up until several months ago.

So, in the grand scheme of things, the fact that I now have to fork out for a new oven due to the 99p one having cooked its last, is no great shakes. I think we got our money’s worth.

The new one won’t be bought from eBay though.

I want a bloody warranty.

10 comments:

  1. Oh ebay, both my ovens from them, both now have weird faults so like you I will buy one with a warranty. Shame though.
    I know its not even worth getting someone in to fix them, I couldn't take that awful sucking of air theses guys have.
    Oh yes if the other halves where still here I expect the ovens would be bits all over the floor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love victories like that :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous. I have to say, I'm a HUGE fan of accountability. Sure, if you wanna give more $ fine, but guess what? It's a contract. Be a grown up and fulfill it. =) Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. I completely imagined the look on her face. hah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sucks having to get a new oven but that's seriously awesome that you managed to snag one at such a miniscule price. Hubby lists on Ebay all the time at the minimum price and we always walk around on eggshells hoping the price will go up. I don't think he's ever been caught out yet but like you say - it's the risk you take.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy Car Man is a Yorkshireman and would take his penny, add it to his collection of pennies in a jar until he had enough to go to a Sam Smith's pub n buy a pint of Nut Brown Ale for one pound n 13 p.

    He is nodding in agreement at your insistence on SO not giving the seller of the oven more money.

    Meanwhile, consider a fan assisted oven with a separate grill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd happily take an oven for a squid thankyouverymuch!

    Warranty's aren't all they're cracked up to be, most things today just aren't meant to last much longer than the three year mark, so you'll end up buying something new anyway and it'll always be just after the warranty ran out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son's girlfriend's family always have Christmas dinner from the local Chinese, which is fine by me as it means he always comes to mine for the day. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! 'Mr. Couldn't Fixit' CLASSIC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thistle: Not only would the ovens be in bits all over the kitchen/living room/workshop, I have a feeling there'd be copious amounts of WD40 involved too!

    Kyna: They don't happen very often, but it's great when they do!

    bb: *fist bump*

    Melissa: I can still picture her very pissed off face to this day.

    Marguerite: Much of it depends on what's being sold, and what the demand is for it. I sometimes wonder if, after being caught out like that, the woman then listed other items with a reserve.

    CGL: A pint for £1.13? A whole pint? Where is this pub? Give me directions. Oh, are you talking about a while back? Bugger.

    Liz: I reckon they must have a self-destruct chip hidden in there somewhere, programmed to detonate two days after the warranty has expired.

    Is: Nothing like mum's home cooking :)

    HH: :D

    ReplyDelete