Sunday, 13 February 2011

Black Mood Banishment


I woke up the other morning and the very first thing I did, before I’d even opened my eyes, was laugh at myself, signalling an end to the Blah & Meh’s. I was laying diagonally across the bed (I’m thinking that’s got to be the best way to utilise all that space), arms akimbo and head buried underneath my pillow. Without going into too much detail about my sleeping habits, I’m usually much more ladylike apart from dribbling onto my pillow and don't tend to sprawl. Still underneath the pillow and giggling, I imagined looking down on myself and seeing something like this:


It definitely beats the way I woke a few mornings ago – I opened my eyes to find myself nose to nose with Dopey. Aww, you might think, or eww, depending on your point of view. I was just laying there, slowly waking up, enjoying a little human/cat bonding, listening to her contented purring, when… she coughed.
Cat breath in my face first thing in the morning, or indeed any other time of the day, is categorically not on my Best Ways To Start The Day list.
Anyhow, imaginary chalk outlines and stinky cat breath aside, in my head once again the sky is blue, the sun is shining, the birds are a-singing and all is well again with my world. There were no pina colada’s involved, but a cheeky Chablis happened to cross my path. Regrettably it was only one glass though, because I spilt the rest all over myself, my sofa and my friend. Don’t ask. Very embarrassed. What a waste. Sigh.
Amongst other things, I decided I was suffering from blog fatigue – not only writing and reading (not a reflection on anyone’s writing I hasten to add), but also commenting – so I sent myself into a self-imposed blog exile. All very well and something I needed to do, but now I’ve got heaps to catch up on (ah well, that’s Sunday taken care of).
Last Tuesday was a cold, but glorious day, so after I finished work and had been to the supermarket (both b.o.r.i.n.g.), and in an effort to shake off the Blah & Meh’s, I decided to take myself off for a walk down by the river, which is a short distance from my house. Fortunately for me, and it was purely by accident rather than by design, the tide was in. Water is so much more pleasant to look at than mud, I find.


It totally had the desired effect and I could feel my frame of mind shifting from negative to positive. So much so, in the evening, while singing “You’re the firestarter, twisted firestarter” a la the Prodigy, I had the first of a few, much needed, long overdue, bonfires.

Like water has a soothing, get-things-straight-in-my-head effect on me, fire has a totally hypnotic effect, in an energizing ready-to-kick-ass way in this instance.

Unfortunately it’s been raining for the past couple of days, so my pyromaniacal (is that a word? The red squiggle underlining it suggests not, but Google says yes. I bow to your greater knowledge Google, O Wise One) tendencies will have to be put on hold for a little while. Also unfortunately, I went into the garden to put some rubbish out and slipped. When I looked to see what I’d slipped on, to my horror I saw it was a worm – gack! My worm radar had clearly suffered a malfunction (reminder to self: there is a reason you don’t venture into the garden after it’s been raining, numnuts).

Oh, while I was in the supermarket, I just happened to find myself in the wine section. It mystifies me how that always seems to occur - the supermarket trolleys must have some sort of wine seeking device built into them. *snort* Anyway, seeing as I was there, I thought it would be rude not to peruse the shelves. My eye was caught by a small, attractive looking bottle; my right hand, of its own volition, reached out, picked up the bottle and placed it in the trolley. Weird how that happens.


 
Let me assure you, the only place it eventually got spilt was down my throat.
 
Heh.

9 comments:

  1. Cheers! to a better frame of mind.

    The pressures of blogging and commenting...ah the self-imposed pressure. We do that, why? WTF? right?

    and, you could go with some singing of "baby you're a firework...Come on, show 'em what you're worth" a la Katy Perry, in addition to your "firestarter" bonfire. Give the neighbors a real show. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bub,

    Glad to see you're out of your blah and meh mood :)
    Getting out and about really does great things for the spirits, I even love being out in the elements... Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that we're only human and that nature is far more powerful, and then scurry back inside to get warm/dry :D

    Cat breath? Never experienced that before! Haha, looks like I've been missing out all those years my nan had cats... Sadly I'm allergic so cannot discover the delights.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have you back Bub! although I must admit, a self imposed time away from blogging actually sounds a little bit like heaven. I like blogging but some days it seems like hours have slipped away from me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay - The Bub is back!
    Running water VG
    Fire VVG
    Windy, kite-flying days Excellent
    My big sister told me that when worms come out with the rain they have little buckets made of mud in their mouths to catch water - and I believed her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can wake up in a foul mood and after about 30 minutes I decide ..this sucks..and then I cheer the fuck up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa: Cheers! Blogging can take up so much time, especially as the list of blogs I follow increases. When I started blogging, I had no idea it would become so addictive.

    I'll add Firework to my bonfire song list, along with Light My Fire, Great Balls Of Fire and if I'm standing in the wrong place, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.

    Liz: Thank you! You're so right about how powerful nature is. A few years ago we were in Cornwall when there was a huge storm. From a safe point, we watched the sea being whipped up by the wind - it was absolutely exhilarating to see.

    Trust me, you haven't missed anything at all by not experiencing the stench of cat breath!! Have yourself a good week too.

    Marguerite: Thank you! It amazes me sometimes where the time goes once I sit at my computer, but I have to say it did me good to step away from it for a while.

    Is: Oh yes, I'm back! That's one of the very few times I've laughed where a worm has been involved! Although I'm trying not to picture it...

    And now I have Let's Go Fly A Kite from Mary Poppins running through my head :o)

    YG: Sometimes I get days like that and it's great to snap out of it quickly. This one crept up on me though.

    Liz: I certainly am! Sunshine and signs of spring arriving have definitely helped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! You're back. Missed you. Cheers to cat mints, bonfires and wormless garden paths!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nari: Aw, thanks for missing me!

    Oooo... cat mints... nah, I have enough trouble getting a worming tablet into her!

    ReplyDelete