I’ve been afflicted by Blah & Meh Syndrome lately. Symptoms of Blah & Meh are:
- Can’t be arsed
- Do it tomorrow… maybe
- Whatever
- Really?
- Doing things other than what you are supposed to be doing
I’m not entirely sure what’s bought this on, maybe the time of year doesn’t help, but I seem to have sunk into Blah & Meh with gusto. Eldest Daughter has been trying to give me a verbal kick up the backside which, given that she’s roughly ten and a half thousand miles away, it isn’t really working.
In an attempt to motivate myself, seeing as I’ve got loads of things I need to do, I booked my flight to Australia in the hope that Blah & Meh would be banished. Unfortunately, all it’s done is made me think, ‘meh, I’ve got loads of time before then.’ In other words, blaaaaah.
I did manage to haul my sorry ass into London on Thursday night to meet a friend and one of her colleagues after work, and ended up at the Boulevard Brasserie in Covent Garden. We all got pleasantly tipsy and had a thoroughly enjoyable evening, although I ate waaay too many potatoes (a random fact you probably didn’t really need to know, just thought I’d throw it in there). During my train journey home, I hoped the evening would have been enough to kick-start me into action and drive out the Blah & Meh’s.
Did it, fuck.
Today, instead of being galvanised into achieving stuff I need to do (and no, I didn’t have a hangover), I poked around on the internet and found something to do that’s right up Blah & Meh’s street - the iPod shuffle game.
Basically, what you have to do is stick your iPod/whatever on shuffle and use the title of the song as your answer to the questions. No cheating is allowed – no skipping songs – the song that comes up is the one you have to use as your answer. Waste of time? Hell, yeah. Fantastic way to procrastinate? I have it down to a fine art at the moment.
So, here goes:
1. What does this year have in store for you?
Cooler Than Me – Mike Posner
(I hope this isn’t a prediction for our summer weather.)
2. What’s your love life like?
Let Me Entertain You – Robbie Williams
(Wait. Er, who exactly am I supposed to be ‘entertaining’?)
3. What do you say when life gets hard?
Summer of 69 – Bryan Adams
(I could be very rude here, if not downright filthy.)
4. What do you think when you get up in the morning?
Poker Face – Lady Gaga
(See answer to question 3)
5. Your favourite saying?
Don’ Cha – Pussycat Dolls
(Really? Really?? Wonder how many smacks in the mouth I’d get if I wandered up to random couples and asked the bloke, “Don’ cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?” I’ll be giving that one a miss.)
6. Favourite place?
Flying Without Wings – Westlife
(My iPod is trying to kill me. I want, no, I need any plane I fly on to have wings. Oh, and at least a couple of engines.)
7. What is the thing you like doing most?
Temptation – Heaven 17
(Yeah, that chocolate in the fridge ain’t gonna stay there long.)
8. What is your state of mind like at the moment?
If I just Lay here – Snow Patrol
(Yup. I can do that. With the chocolate.)
9. What song describes you?
It Only Takes a Minute – Take That
(Glad I’m not a bloke. *snort* Also, see answer to question 3.)
10. If you could go back in time, what would you change?
Yeah – Usher
(Yeah, what? That’s not helpful.)
11. What scares you the most?
Oh Carolina – Shaggy
(Erm, if I knew a Carolina, maybe I’d be scared. Or I may not. I’ll let you know if I ever meet one.)
12. What do you want to be when you grow up?
If You Like Pina Colada – Jimmy Buffett
(A bartender? Nah.)
13. What do you think about often?
Don’t Play Nice – Verbalicious
(Don’t tempt me.)
14. What song will you dance to at your wedding?
Ain’t Nothing Goin’ On But The Rent – Gwen Guthrie
(Hang on a cotton pickin’ minute. What wedding? Oh that’s right, the one where I bribe some poor unsuspecting sod. Rent A Groom here I come. *snort*)
15. What is your biggest secret?
Shut Up & Let Me Go – The Ting Tings
(Nope, not my biggest secret. It’s staying secret. There’s only a select few that know what it is. Oh, that makes it not quite so secret I suppose. But wait. They are sworn to secrecy. I could go on. But I won’t. Just as I won’t be telling you what it is. Sorry and all that.)
As I said in a previous post, simple things amuse me.
So that’s me, Princess Procrastination, buggering off to bed now in preparation for another day of… yup.
You got it.
Dragging my feet and postponement.
God I hope not.
It’s doing my head in.
I'm here to testify that Carolina is downright frightening sometimes. The North one, anyway.
ReplyDeleteI'm in state of Blah & Meh at the moment too. It's lame, but what are you gonna do? (Nothing, that's what)
ReplyDeleteAustralia?! That's where I am! Where are you going?
Hi Bub,
ReplyDeleteLol, I love procrastination, it's amazing... I do it all the time. I have jobs to do which have been on my list for at least 2 weeks now, and sadly the weather's just too bad so I have to procrastinate a little longer.
Yay, we rock.
In fact, I think I'm going to go back to bed now for a snooze :D
Dear Bub,
ReplyDeleteI reckon if it's doing your head in, that's a sign that very soon you'll bounce back with a gleam in your eye, a spring in your step and a devilish grin on your face. Meantime, enjoy slobbing about, don't feel guilty, this is the Northern hemisphere and if you're not depressed this time of year you're probably on the wrong meds.
Dear Bub, You are more than half way of leaving the doldrums as you have written all of ths! As you may imagine, I have no idea what an iPod Shuffle is or what any of the songs you list sound like, but it must have taken quite a time to piece all of this together and given you quite a lot to think about at the same time. I never regard thinking as a waste....far from it as it is often one's most creative time and eventually I find seemingly random thoughts come together in a great idea. With this dreary weather we are having at present and so much time to sit and stare....I am certain that THE BIG IDEA will arrive sooner than you think.....just be ready to act upon it!!
ReplyDeleteHey, now this is a game I could get good at :)
ReplyDeleteI also get the Blah and Meh syndrome but its usually a sunday thing, hence the reason the only thing I've done today is get my printer working and why I decided mid way through the afternoon that it might be time to get off my arse and go have a shower :) ... now I'm watching cricket.
Kyna: Apart from some of the out-and-out weirdos & perverts you get at your store, why is it frightening? Or have I just answered my own question?!
ReplyDeleteLenni: I'm still busy doing nothing, but hope you get over yours soon!
I'll be gracing Sydney with my presence from the middle of June for a month.
Liz: At least you have a list - I've put off doing that! All the things I need to get on with are just floating around in my head. Hmm, wonder if I ought to actually write them down. It could go one of two ways if I do that - I'll either knuckle down or scare myself silly!
Is: Thanks for the cheery vote of confidence - I really hope so! The Winter Blues are dreadful, but I can't remember being this affected by them before - perhaps I ought to look into the 'wrong' medication (that sounds so right in my head, but looks terrible written down and could be taken the wrong way!)
Edith: As I said to Isobel, I really do hope so. I hadn't written anything of any length on here for a couple of weeks (no inclination) and have also been struggling to read and leave comments on various blogs. Thank you for your encouragement.
Amanda: The game can feel a bit spooky sometimes - I tried it again earlier and it was coming up with some really relevant stuff. Freaked me out a bit!
I think Sunday's are allowed to be Blah & Meh days - almost obligatory I'd say. Ooh, perhaps that's my problem - my brain thinks the past few weeks have all consisted of Sundays!
Cold weather is for thick blankets, crackling fires, home-made soup, fresh baked biscuits, hot tea, good wine, and sleeping in...*yawns*...I think I'm going to take a little nap now.
ReplyDeleteIn Texas that's called 'give a shit.'..
ReplyDeleteYou need some mid-winter shenanigans to shake up Bub-world! Get a spray tan, drink a pina colada, throw on your cossie, drink a pina colada, crank up the fire, drink a pina colada, put a beach towel down in front of it and pretend you're somewhere warm. Read a book, drink a pina colada, you tube some Ka'ua Crater Boys for a bit of lazy days holiday musak, and finally, drink a pina colada.
ReplyDeleteI guarantee you'll be stomping all over the Blah's and Meh's, or you'll be too tipsy to care!
Nari: You are right, but it's got to the point where I've had enough now! I hope you enjoyed your nap.
ReplyDeleteYG: Totally agree with that sentiment.
CGL: After five pina colada's I probably wouldn't give a toss about anything!