Monday, 14 February 2011

First and Last


Two years ago, Significant Other was in hospital for more radiotherapy to his spine in an attempt to ease some of his pain. Although I spent the majority of my days and evenings at his bedside, we agreed between us that this time I wouldn’t spend my nights there. Although I wanted and he wanted for us to be together as much as possible, we both knew I needed some sort of brief respite.

Two years ago today, I received a phone call from my brother-in-law first thing in the morning, telling me to look in the shed. Puzzled, I did so and on opening the door burst into tears. Sitting inside I found roses and a card. Significant Other, amidst all his pain, both physical and psychological, had remembered Valentine’s Day and with the help of his brother had organised the gifts for me.

I still have one of the roses and, of course, the card.


See the smaller flower? That’s the very first rose he gave me many, many years ago for Valentine’s Day.

Both roses lie safely in the box, but only occasionally do I lift the lid to look at them. I don’t need to – I know they’re there and that’s enough. I have a fleeting moment of sadness when I see them, but it passes very quickly because what I overwhelmingly remember is the love with which they were given.

Two roses.

First and last.

Viewed with a smile.

And love.

11 comments:

  1. awww Bub, now you've got me all emotional and I have to go wipe the teary mascara off my face before my co-workers see me. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bub, No other flowers will be necessary as what you have in your heart is priceless..... beyond words and gifts! This is such a brave posting, my thoughts are with you on this special day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marguerite: Ah, Happy Valentine's Day to you too.

    It wasn't my intention to make anyone cry, I just wanted to mark the day as I wasn't blogging this time last year. I doubt very much I'll do it again - not because I won't want to, but because I won't need to.

    Edith: Thank you for your words and thoughts. You are correct in what you say, the memories I hold are very precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The symbols of a lifetime of love in a box. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you make us laugh, you make us cry.......x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bub,

    *blubs like a baby*

    Thinking of you, I'm no good at emotional stuff as you can see from the blubbing. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really dislike Valentine's Day...but not when it's celebrated so purely and lovingly. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful...

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To all: I think it's going to have to be a virtual hug!

    Consider yourselves hugged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful! I normally hate Valentine's day and all the commercialism that goes with it. Your blog shows the real spirit of St. Valentine. Cyber hugs aplenty on their way x

    ReplyDelete