Wednesday, 16 February 2011

I Only Asked For Lamb...

There is a butcher’s in the village where I live, but it’s somewhere I don’t visit very often due to it being at the wrong end of the village. By wrong end, I don’t mean it’s the dodgy end, I mean I don’t drive past it, so I forget it’s there. I really should make more of an effort to visit them, because meat from a butchers, although more expensive, is much tastier than supermarket bought meat.

It’s run by two brothers who are both, I guess, to be in their mid to late 50’s. As with a lot of local shops, they are on first name terms with many residents. Not me though, however they are both very friendly and whenever I’ve been there I’ve spent a good ten minutes or so having a chat.

The other day I skipped down there, wanting to buy some lamb.

Butcher 1: Hello there, what can I do you for?

Me: I’d like some lamb please for a casserole; enough for four people.

Butcher 1: No problem, I can do you leg, or even better, neck fillet.

Me: Ooh, neck please.

He then proceeded to weigh it and then he diced it up for me. Meanwhile, Butcher 2 was doing butcher-type things with bacon or something and chatting away to me about the weather, psychics, eggs, traffic wardens; completely random stuff, but I was keeping up with the twists in conversation. Then:

Butcher 1: That’s one and a half kilograms in weight there.

Me: Uh, what’s that in pounds? I don’t really do metric.

Butcher 2: Ooh, an old fashioned girl, eh?

Me (laughing): Certainly am.

Butcher 1: I do both, me.

Butcher 2: Does that make you bisexual?

Me: *blink*  …  *blink*

Butcher 1: Well… yeah… I s’pose it does.

Me: *blink*  …  *blink*



Village life, eh?

8 comments:

  1. Huh, I don't know a whole lot about the metric system. I thought it was realted to measurements, not sex. Maybe I should have been more willing to learn. It sounds a lot more interesting now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Canadian so I'm a Metricsexual. But to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    I.... urm..... well. Hard to think of something politely witty to come back with in that situation isn't it?

    weather is always safe ground, bisexuality is a little far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna have to visit our local butcher more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. Ah, that's a riot. =) I love the *blink* ... *blink* I might have to borrow that--GREAT visual. =) Always enjoy your posts! Greedy for more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bub, Butchers I have always believed to be very flexible and open-minded people! Did the lamb taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nari: Who knew, eh?

    Kyna: So you measure in centimetres and not inches...?

    YG: Change your butcher!

    Liz: I had nothing. Absolutely nothing.

    Liz: Good luck with that!

    bb: Not quite what I was expecting when I went to the shop though!

    Edith: As I have found out! The lamb was gorgeous and well worth the, um, extra information.

    ReplyDelete