My parents are very private people, so I asked for my mum’s permission before I wrote this post, which she kindly gave. Even so, I haven’t gone into too much detail.
Almost five years ago my mum found a lump in one of her breasts, did the right thing and made an appointment with her GP, who referred her onto the hospital, where she had various tests.
There are some events in life that can be recalled as though they happened yesterday. I distinctly remember standing next to a window upstairs, looking out across the field and talking to my mum on the phone that summer’s day; the sky was blue and the sun was shining.
On hearing my mum say the words, “I’ve got cancer,” I couldn’t understand why the sky didn’t instantly darken. I wondered why it wasn’t thundering and why there weren’t bolts of lightning hitting the field, one after the other, because that’s what was happening in my head. Why was the sky still blue? How could the sun still be shining?
We hear the word ‘cancer’ and automatically assume it’s a death sentence - that one word strikes such a chord of fear.
She underwent surgery and afterwards had chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Five years on, she is a survivor.
What she went through, and because it was so close to home, was a stark reminder that we should be checking ourselves for lumps. A few weeks ago Youngest Daughter found a lump, so an appointment was made with our GP. Given her age, it was unlikely to be anything sinister, but one certain thing about life is that there are no certainties.
We’ve spent the last few weeks trying not to worry about it too much, and on Wednesday morning she had an appointment at the breast clinic at our local hospital. After having an ultrasound scan, thankfully those fears lurking in our minds were unfounded.
Breasts, boobs, hooters, call them what you want, they come in all shapes and sizes. It doesn’t matter what age you are…
…Check ’em out.

Hi Bub,
ReplyDeleteExcellent reminder, just as it's important to check your hooters, also to get a smear test done too.
btw, I'm loving that guy who has invited you to follow his blog.....................
Thanks for sharing your mums story. Great blog post.Reminded me to check.
ReplyDeleteWhat an important post. My grandma had breast cancer a couple of years ago, she's a survivor. Constantly crossing my fingers for my mum. Me...for some reason I just have this feeling I'll end up with it. I feel my boobs all the time (you're welcome, Male Readers). Though they look spectacular, the way mine are...ahem...constructed (it's really a TMI medical condition), it'll be difficult for me to find lumps, according to my doctor. So I'm extra vigilant.
ReplyDeleteAs Liz said, the smear test is also important. I get one every year. That way I can catch things early, if 'things' happen.
chin up........tits out
ReplyDeleteMy mum is a survivor, too (diagnosed over 25 years ago). Ladies, if you're in the high risk category (like me), start getting mammograms as soon as you are allowed to. Monthly self-exams take just a few minutes. It's so important! Thanks, Bub, for the reminder and the story. Glad to hear your Mum is a survivor! :-)
ReplyDeleteA very heartfelt and positive post. That I applaud. Sadly, I am also a (late) middle aged man, which means in my head I'm about 12 years old. Many will think it, but few will writen it. However, I have had a shame by-pass, so on behalf of all those out there too oppressed by an artifical layer of decency, might I add that lads, don't forget to handle you nadgers as well, a minimum of three times a day.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I've think you've pulled with Mr Finnell; you're not wearing leopard print are you?
Bloody hell, Bub! I've just checked out your new beau's blog. You really know to pick them, don't you?
ReplyDeleteSF: Thanks.
ReplyDeleteLiz: Most definitely. Btw, yeee-aaaah......!
IWBY: It's so important, yet so easy to push to the back of your mind.
Kyna: I hope your fear regarding your 'spectacular' boobs never come to pass. Our smear tests are done every three years here.
YG: Now why didn't I think of that - I could have just written 'chin up, tits out' and it would have been my shortest blog post ever! ;)
OMG: I'm pleased to know your mum is a survivor too! Yearly mammograms start when we reach 50 over here - although I don't know if they start earlier if you're in the high risk category.
Youngest Daughter thought she would have to have one, but I told her she was too young. She was relieved and I quote, "because I like my boobs the shape they are." Rolling my eyes, I told her that having your boobs squished flat doesn't mean they'll stay flat afterwards!
IG: Three times a day? Three?! Hmm, better to be safe than sorry ;)
The ol' magnetism is obviously still alive and kicking and without the aid of leopard print I might add!
Bub an excellent reminder about something I admit I never do but obviously should. Thanks for sharing that story.
ReplyDeleteMarguerite: It's all too easy to not think of it unfortunately.
ReplyDeleteKyna: P.S. I meant to add that I'm really pleased your grandma is a survivor too - I must have had a senior moment ;)
Such an important reminder...all those regular check up things are such a bore, but are so important. A benefit to doing the monthly breast exam? You can always ask a friend to help!
ReplyDeleteHi Bub,
ReplyDeleteYou certainly do know how to attract the men, I wonder if this guy searches for people who have tagged their blogs with 'cancer' and automatically assumes they must therefore need jesus in their lives?
Preying on the vulnerable imo.
My brother had cancer at 16, and has made a full recovery but I imagine it's a very real worry for him that his son will have it too. I'm not even sure exactly what his diagnosis was - I was only 12 at the time so typically most stuff was kept from me. I was under the impression until around 5 years ago that the cancer was in his groin but actually it must've been testicular and he was worried he couldn't have children because he urm, only has one now.
My parents were terrible for not telling me the truth when I was younger, which isn't helping anyone!
I'm glad your mum recovered well and am glad youngest daughter's result is clear.
Being of the 'anything more than a mouthful is a waste' size (the men in my life have learned this mantra very early on in our relationships - Crazy Car Man even mumbles it in his sleep)I have the problem of feeling lumps, freaking out and then realising they are ribs. I check once a month regardless and I have an awesome GP who explained what it is I should be freaking out about if I happen to find it.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile, I have spectacular legs to make up for the less than spectacular cleavage!
Melissa: I do have some very good friends... however asking any one of them to feel me up (albeit for a very good reason) would be stretching those friendships somewhat and could get me into all sorts of trouble!
ReplyDeleteLiz: I'd literally just published the post, clicked to go back to the dashboard and found there was a comment waiting for me to moderate.
I don't allow my blog to be found through search engines (although I do know it comes up via Kyna's blog if you specifically search for 'I'd like to hold a tarantula'). Perhaps my blog came up after he'd clicked 'Next Blog'? Anyway, after checking his blog wasn't a porn one, I decided to publish his comment.
If people have a faith, then fine, I respect that. Just don't try and ram it down my throat.
Parents do try and shield their kids from things, and forget/don't realise that kids are very resilient and can deal with the truth. I'm pleased to hear your brother recovered, and after going through what he did would hope he'd pass on the importance of self-checking to his son.
CGL: I now have a mental image of CCM talking in his sleep and you saying, 'damn right baby!' - bwahaha! And of course your legs are spectacular - you're an ex-showgirl. Stunning legs are obligatory!
Cancer has been such a major presence in our family for the past several years so thanks for posting the reminder. It is so very important and each day is so very precious.
ReplyDeleteNari: It's something that takes minutes to do, yet could potentially save a life.
ReplyDelete