Sunday, 9 October 2011

No, no - please tell me I didn’t! (But unfortunately I did)


I love reading and have done ever since my mum taught me to read before I started school. I love the escapism that books bring from the real world. Overall I tend to read chick lit where, unlike real life, there’s always a happy ending.
I do admit they do tend to follow the same path; woman meets man and either:
a) they get together, there’s a misunderstanding, they split up, but then it all gets sorted and they end up together;
b) the woman can’t stand the man, but then falls in love with him (go figure) and they end up together;
c) the woman and man are already married, there’s a misunderstanding blah blah blah (see point a)).
What I like though, is the fact that the women’s characters in them are funny, feisty, can stand on their own two feet and won’t put up with any shit.
Before parting with any money, I tend to read the first page of a book in the shop – if it draws me in, I’ll buy it. Last week saw me do just that.
I started my book, and although it wasn’t unreadable, I started thinking it was a bit twee for my liking. Having got about half way through it I stuck with it, but kept willing the woman in it to grow a pair.*
She didn’t.
I got to the end of the book and the inevitable happy ending, but was left somewhat disappointed by it. I then flipped the page to see if there were any recommendations for other books (to avoid) and was faced with this:


*blink* ??? *blink*

With a not inconsiderable sense of trepidation, I closed the cover, looked at the spine and to my horror saw this:


Aargh! Mills and feckin’ Boon!!

Gack.

No word of a lie, I actually flung the book across the room in disgust.
Mills and Boon.**
Pfft.
Shoot me.
Shoot me now.

*A metaphorical pair. If she'd actually grown a pair, it would have changed the whole nature of the book. Mills & Boon... with a twist. Heh.
**If you are a Mills & Boon reader and have taken offence at this post - tough.


12 comments:

  1. ppphhhsssgfffffffwwaarhhhwwwwweeeee hee heee heee heee heeeeeee heeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (sssssnnnnnnort).

    ReplyDelete
  2. *snort*

    hey, if she'd actually grown a pair it probably would have made the story a hell of alot more interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNAH: Thanks sis, thanks a lot ;o)

    Amanda: Way, way more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no, we can get away with chick lit but never mills and boon. I am afraid you will have to stand in the big girls books selection (Jane Eyre or To the Lighthouse)to get some blogg cred back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thistle: Never fear - I'm currently scrubbing out my brain with Victoria Hislop's 'The Island'. Is that good enough? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the heck is Mills and Boon? Would that be like Harlequin is to those of us in the states? I don't read Harlequin if I can avoid it. Personally, I feel they are responsible for the bad rap given to romance novels, what with all their throbbing and heaving and such.

    I enjoy chick lit immensely and I'm certainly not one to put down a good love scene but I don't really care for replacement names for body parts, unless they're funny names created solely for my amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah... easy to miss the B---I---G publisher's logo - not to mention the sloshy picture on the front cover???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nari: After Googling Harlequin, I can say that yes, they are comparable. Ick.

    Anon: It fooled me as there wasn't a slushy picture on the front. But yes, I hold my hands up and admit I missed the humongous logo on the spine. Sigh. Lots of love... your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blimey, when I saw the title I figured you'd been out in your leopard skin doing street sex with widowers in exchange for cider and chips.

    I never anticipated how low you'd actually fallen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hung my head with complete and utter shame on realising the depths I'd unwittingly sunk to.

    Oh, by the way, it would be beer, not cider.

    ReplyDelete
  11. tell me there was at least some good sex in it?

    ReplyDelete