Book Two: Fifty Shades Crappier
Book Three: Fifty Shades *facepalm*
So, as usual with bandwagons, I’m a little late jumping onto this one, but I find myself almost incoherent with disbelief at the sheer amount of women who are raving about this trilogy.
(Note: if you haven’t read them, but intend to, don’t bother this will contain some spoilers.)
I can guarantee that on every flight I work on, there are at least two women passengers with one of the books to read and quite a few more with it on their Kindle’s (they’re the ones who don’t want to be seen reading it – but as I walk up and down the cabin I usually manage to spot a telltale word or two *snort*) while we’re flying. I’ve had numerous discussions on board about the books, with the vast majority of women saying how good they are and how much they’d love to get their hands on the male character, Christian Grey.
Good? I don’t think so.
They want to get their hands on Christian Grey?
*blink*
Can they not see that Christian Grey is a serial control freak with stalker tendencies?
Can they not see that Christian Grey is one seriously fucked up individual who needs proper psychological evaluation and help? What woman in her right mind would want to be shagged by a man who has admitted that he chooses, and has had sex with, his submissives because they look like his dead crack whore mother?
Oedipus anyone?
The female character, Ana Steele, takes exception to Grey’s past Dominant, an older lady who she labels Mrs Robinson and considers her to be Grey’s child abuser (he was fifteen at the time), yet she is able to overlook the fact that she, Ana, also bears resemblance to Grey’s mother.
Ewwww.
I suspect that the reason many women love these books is because of all the sex (obviously something missing from their lives), and there is A LOT of sex (in book two, I convinced myself that Grey must have been on intravenous Viagra he was performing so often and Ana must have a Teflon-lined vagina). In fact there’s so much sex, it got boring…
Billiard table? Sex on it.
Boat? Sex on it.
Elevator? Sex in it.
Sex using implements? Yup.
Bathroom? More sex.
Office desk? Oh look, more sex.
Joined the mile high club? You betcha.
Yada, yada, yada.
While reading, I also became aware (and irritated) quite quickly that one of Ana’s favoured sayings was, ‘Oh my’. There were so many of them that after a while I found myself wanting to shove her oh my’s right up her inner goddess (who also irritated me).
There were a couple of places where the threat of a half decent storyline seemed to be starting – at one point Grey disappears, and I had high hopes of a meaty plot developing, but a couple of pages later, he walks back into his apartment after a few hours, having heroically managing to land his sabotaged, engine on fire, helicopter and then walking and hitching a lift back to civilisation. Like you do.
Then they had sex.
Again.
Yawn.
Ana and Christian get married and by the end of the third book have a child with another on the way. The last book ends with Christian Grey still being a control freak, but, it’s a miracle! he is mended. It literally finishes with them both gazing at the sunset from their house (and me making pukey, gagging noises).
There is no disputing the author has made a shitload of money from these books that started life as Twilight fan fiction (I’d like to point out that I parted with no money to read these – I ‘acquired’ them (ask me no questions, I’ll tell you no lies)) and good luck to her, but in my view the trilogy is a Mills and Boon romance with added flogging, spanking and handcuffs. You just don’t get those in Mills and Boon.
In my opinion, for what it’s worth, the author has perpetuated women’s fantasies (and I’m not talking about the sex. Did I mention all the sex?) that only the love of a good woman can cure a very damaged man and I just don’t think it works like that.
But what do I know? I do know that in real life I wouldn’t go near a man like that with a ten foot barge pole.
Besides, I probably wouldn’t like what he’d want to do with it.
In case anyone is wondering, given that I’m clearly not the greatest fan of these books, why did I bother to read all three of them, the answer lies with my job.
I have periods where I’m on standby at home (I call it house arrest), and if I’m needed for a flight due to someone calling in sick, or something going wrong somewhere, crewing phone me with a disgustingly cheery, “Sorry to bother you, we need you to operate blah, blah, blah”. However, being called off standby is quite rare, so I literally have time to kill while being paid to do so and seeing as I had the books in my possession, I read them.
Then threw them across the room with a resounding, “GAH!!”
You. Are Awesome! Thanks for the laughs.
ReplyDelete*delicately holds out bottom of shorts and curtsies* You're welcome!
DeleteOkay, stop beating about the bush (if you see what I mean.....oooer missus)and sitting on the fence (oooh I don't think they tried that one did they??!!) did you like it???
ReplyDeleteps. welcome back!
D'you know, I might just have to read them again just to be sure. NOT.
Deletep.s. thank you!
Good to hear your review. I have a few book loving friends and they are about half and half on the series. Having read plenty of Harlequin Romance and other "bodice rippers" in my day, I certainly don't mind one for a quicky read. (pun, indeed, intended! ;-)) When prioritizing my next read, I think I'll keep this one near the bottom. (now, see , I'm turning that into an innuendo. Sheesh!)
ReplyDeleteI went to get some takeaway food last night and ended up having a discussion with two women about them. They both loved them and I came away with not just food, but the added knowledge that one of the women has "been there, done all that". Woah! Too. Much. Information. from a total stranger!!
Deletei started to read the first one .... i got two chapters in and put the book down. You had a hell of a lot more patience than I did. :)
ReplyDeleteYou might call it patience, I'd call it stupidity ;)
DeleteI'm right there with you Amanda. I got to the part where she lost her virginity and couldn't bear the dross any longer. I've been wondering if I should have another whack at it but each time I open the book I immediately find something more scintillating to read (the back of my wine bottle, Aldi weekly specials, the obituaries, last year's calendar).
DeleteThe books are mommy porn. It's just an attempt to mainstream erotica to women who want to read about dirty sex, more graphically than in your typical romance novels but still need to have a Happily Ever After at the end. You know, because we all know that dirty rough sex is synonymous with a loving relationship...
ReplyDeleteThey just need to make up their minds:
Love and Relationships -get a good romance novel if you want to read about it and get a decent man if you want to live it.
Wild Sex-get an erotica book for reading and a hot stupid man if you want to live it.
You've hit the nail on the head; because it has a Happily Ever After, this porn (sorry, erotica) is acceptable, and it's been a very successful attempt at mainstreaming it. So much so, I think we're going to be inundated with copycat books.
DeleteHi Bub,
ReplyDeleteW0000000t!!!!!! Someone else with more than one braincell who is actually able to see these books for what they really were - shit.
They're Twishite with porn in them. Only the plots and characters are as deep as a puddle and there's even less of a storyline.
I got so bored of all the - I love you, but I love you, but no, I love you. But I don't think he loves me, not really. Oh, but he must really love me because of blah blah blah. And then, yes as you said; all the sex. It was boring. How many times can we read the same stuff?
Seriously, why would anyone want to idolise a crazy, manic control freak? Why is this a good thing? Jesus if anyone behaved like that with me I'd tell them where to shove their plugs.
Funny thing is though... On my facebook I've seen loads of people mentioning they're starting to read 'those books' and not a single ones has commented on them since. Makes me wonder if they too think they're crap - I hope so!
Yes, I do occasionally engage my other brain cell ;)
DeleteIf a film of the book is made, I'm sure all the sex will be tastefully filmed (although I wonder how they can tastefully film a butt plug being inserted *snort*) because after all, it won't be porn will it? It'll be a love story.
*cough* doublestandards *cough*