Thursday, 15 July 2010

I Think I Need A Man




Desperate times call for desperate measures.

You know sometimes the germ of an idea manifests itself in your brain and the more you think about it, the more it takes shape and the more you think it’s going to work.

It. Is. The. Answer. Isn’t it?

It can’t fail, can it?

It’s brilliant, isn’t it?

Well.

There may possibly be a solution to The Widower problem, but I’m unsure as to whether I should set it in motion. It could backfire.

He phoned again yesterday morning asking if I was free. I expressed my ‘sorrow’ that unfortunately I wasn’t. I had to go and dig a big pile of worms up from the garden.

He then asked about today. Again, I spoke of my ‘regret’. I had an appointment at the zoo to do a spot of snake charming (but trust me, I ain’t never gonna be charming The Widower’s snake).

It transpired that New Lady is out of town until Friday, his mum is in hospital and he wanted my shoulder to cry on (shoulder eh? That’s a new one).

I visited my friend, Pink Crystal, today and we spoke about the pain in the arse this problem. As a throwaway remark, I said I need a man. A fake boyfriend.

Now I’m thinking maybe that’s not such a bad idea.

I need a fake boyfriend, but a man who really exists, one who’s willing to pretend to be involved with me. He has to be a real person so The Widower can meet him. Just the once.

I was talking it over with my mum; she also thinks it’s an excellent idea, although she said it would have to be someone I trust, and someone who I wouldn’t get into difficulties with. So I wouldn’t find myself jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, as it were. Between us, our thinking caps were on, trying to come up with a suitable man, when:

Mum: What about Dad?
Me: Ewww, that’s just icky. Ewwwwww. Ewwwwwwww.

Jokingly, I suggested I should tell The Widower I have a girlfriend.

Mum: NO! He might want to watch!”

Bugger.

Hadn’t thought of that.

I have it.

I need a gay fake boyfriend.

Yes, I know this all sounds ridiculous, but I’m getting really hacked off with it now.

If The Widower thinks there is a man on the scene, that I have a companion and I’m getting oodles of… hugs (you can remove your head from the bucket and stop gagging now, Eldest Daughter), he may back off.

Or.

And this is where it could backfire.

He may not.

He may just see that as being open season – he may think, as far as it goes, I’m up for it (the only thing I could be up for, is pushing him off Southend Pier. Hurrah! Southend Pier has a use after all).

Hmm.

What to do?

I’m having lunch with Wise One tomorrow, so I’ll run it by her and see what she thinks. She may even know of a willing victim have a suggestion for the ‘new man in my life’.

If I don’t do something, I will be pushed into turning into something I rarely do anymore:





I don’t like doing that, it unsettles me.

And it gives me indigestion.

2 comments:

  1. OK, so breathing fire is not your preferred option, but you can assert yourself without telling the slimey wee bawbag (old Gaelic term of abuse) to go and play with the traffic. Just say no! Make no excuses, don't apologise, you don't owe him any explanations. It's a really good technique and leaves you feeling good rather than upset. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is, I have said no. But he chooses not to understand the meaning of the word, he is a persistent bugger. Which is why I’ve now resorted to making excuses.

    Him turning up unannounced the other day is a new development – he’s never done that before.

    So, I’m hoping if he thinks there’s a man in my life, he’ll back right off, because as far as he’s concerned, I will have company and won’t be lonely etc. Plus, what man would tolerate another man wanting to see me only when his partner isn’t around?

    Believe me, in conversations I’ve had with family and friends about this, we all agree it seems beyond daft to have to resort to this, but because he’s so tenacious, short of the fire breathing option, it may be worth giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete