Youngest Daughter has been reacquainting herself with the clothes and shoes she didn’t take with her to Majorca.
A few nights ago, pleased to see her enjoying the delights of her TIDY bedroom, I lovingly hovered around and gently said, “Put them back when you’re done, I didn’t spend feckin’ hours on this room for you to trash it again”.
She mostly ignored me.
After a short while, alarming piles of shoes and clothes began to get heaped on the bedroom floor. Concerned they’d stay there I said, “Why don’t you put that lot away before you get anything else out”.
It was a did-I-say-that-out-loud?-I-do-believe-I-did-but-I’m-still-being-ignored moment.
Right.
Time for a spot of tough love.
Me: I’ve got something to show you. Follow me.
During one of our phone conversations while she was away, I’d told her I’d started a blog, but hadn’t really gone into much detail about it. She told me she was looking forward to reading it when she got home.
Heh.
I logged on to Blogger, she settled herself in the chair in front of the computer and began to read.
I started her off on a couple from a while back, which she enjoyed, then I got her to read this. She read it and laughed. Then I got her to read this.
YD: *laughing* I’m sorry, I forgot about some of the stuff in there. *more laughter* Did you really pick all those up and throw them away? *still laughing*
Me: Who else do you think it was? The fairies? Of course it was me.
YD: *more laughter* I’m sorry. *lightbulb moment* Wait a minute. Who reads this blog?
Me: *looking thoughtful* Ohhh, a few people.
YD: ???
Me: Oh, y’know, Eldest Daughter, Nana, your aunt, various friends and some people I’ve never met from around the world. *pause* Do you think you’ll be keeping it tidy now?
YD: *giggling* Yes mum.
Parental blackmail.
Love it.
I just hope it works.

Dear Bub, As one of those people from 'around the world', do tell your daughter that the state of her bedroom and the piles of clothes on the floor are being monitored 24/7. Furthermore, they may well be reported on on other weblogs and, before she knows it, her infamy will be the speak of the blogosphere.
ReplyDeleteMy Mum lives in a state of organised chaos and my Dad is a completely anally retentive neat freak (to the point where the labels in the pantry all must face the same way) I have both traits - I can live quite happily with the mess until it hits a certain level of chaos and then it's the only thing I can think of until it's all put away or thrown out. It then stays tidy for about a day before the whole cycle starts again.
ReplyDeleteSlobs Anonymous anyone?
Keep it up Youngest Daughter, and maybe you'll get your own TV show! x
ReplyDeleteI think there were probably too many giggles for the shame to really have set in lol.
ReplyDeleteAs a person who is EXTREMELY messy, clean people in the house just can't win. I'm a total pig at heart. I TRY to be clean for Chuck, but I don't quite succeed.
Although...if I knew my gran was reading about my piles of condom wrappers, I'd probably make a bit more effort...
She should be thankful you didn't post photos ;-)
ReplyDeleteHi Bub,
ReplyDeleteI've given you an award on my blog - check it out!
http://www.crazygardenlady.com/2010/09/11/seven-things/
Thanks for your words,
CGL
Edith: Consider her told. And I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist doing this:
ReplyDelete"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!"
CGL: Organised chaos is one thing, bomb site another! We used to live in a state of chaos, but I now find I get irritated quite quickly when it's messy. Control Freaks Anonymous for me perhaps? And thank you very much for the award!
Libby: Don't encourage her!!
Kyna: She did look a little bit abashed, and so far all I've had to do is mutter the word 'blog' to send her scurrying into her room. Mwahahaha.
Marguerite: I chose to keep some weapons in reserve... just in case.