Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Survival Of The Fittest

There has been an awful lot of huffing and puffing going on in my house lately. Not just huffing and puffing either. There have been tears, rants and much stomping around. And that’s just Youngest Daughter.

Add to that my own general feeling of being irritated, tired, with an overall mood of complete and utter apathy, plus the fact I’m nursing my fourth cold this winter. I’m considering buying shares in the company who make Lemsip, I’ve got through so much of it.

Then throw in Grumpy’s habit of yowling during the early hours of the morning (she probably thinks her name has been changed to Shut Uuuuup) and you do not find a happy household at the moment.

When Youngest Daughter came back from Majorca last year, she got a sales job at a gym. She hates it. Hates it with a capital HUH. She’s discovered she’s not cut out for sales as she doesn’t have the push required to persuade people into buying something they don’t really want. I can understand that, after all I know how I feel when faced with a pushy, in your face, I’m-not-letting-you-walk-away-until-you-part-with-your-money type of person. Youngest Daughter is not that sort of person, but her managers want her to be.

My evenings are spent listening to Youngest Daughter venting and agreeing with her about how crap it is, but constantly urging her not to leave until she has another job lined up first.

I’m knackered.

One bright spot amongst the doom, gloom and the current snotfest (got the visual? tough sorry) is Petal, a.k.a. Steve, the Orchid. Petal’s flowers dropped off last autumn, so with much should I?/shouldn’t I? trepidation given my abysmal record with plants, I took a deep breath and cut the stem off.

To my amazement Petal proved to be made of strong stuff, because a few weeks later a new stem appeared. I kept looking at it with awe. It was growing! It likes me! (Or, it‘s more likely a case of Petal flipping me the middle finger while saying ‘Up yours Bub, I’m here to stay.’ It’s a shame the same can’t be said of the Boston Fern, which was binned just after Christmas. Wimp.)

Like the beanstalk in the fairy tale, it grew and grew. Although it’s nowhere near giant beanstalk proportions thankfully, I think it’s a mighty stem of a stem. When buds started appearing a couple of weeks ago I did a happy dance, which got repeated first thing this morning when I walked into the bathroom and Petal proudly presented me with this:

Petal, you may look like a weak and feeble plant, with a reputation for being fickle about where you’ll grow, but I know otherwise. You’re a hardy little thing with a strong survival instinct.

I’m impressed and I may just go and do another happy dance after stuffing tissues up my nose.

What’s that?

Visual image again?

Too bad. I apologise.

Heh.

17 comments:

  1. Commiserations on the cold but congratulations on the orchid, it'll still be looking lovely long after the sniffles have gone. I had an idea about your worm free gardening - just use grow bags. 1 grow bag, 2 tomato plants, water every day and feed once a week and soon you'll be knocking out passata. If only career advice was so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bub,

    Congrats on the Orchid, I find them easy to keep too and have next to no problems with them.

    Sorry to hear you have another cold, try taking some zinc, seems to help. I don't take it every day, just to boost my intake but it's most likely a psychological thing rather than proven to help! :D

    I feel your daughter's pain, was in a job I hated with a passion for 4 years and finally left this september. Was probably a mistake in the current climate, but being in a job you hate is just as demoralising as being overworked...
    Hope youngest manages to find something else soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon. I'm extremely jealous about the orchid, which is beautiful by the way. I love orchids but they shun my affections. I guess I'm just on their type. Anyway, I send wished of Healing and Happiness your way with a capital HUH (loved that).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you did it, the Orchid I mean! I have flu at the moment, known as Swan Flu - all white and fluffy!

    Poor Grumpy just wants loved!! Just same the same here Cat breath is always shouting about something!

    Find a site that asks questions on what jobs you might like and present to Y.D. If you find one send it to me Y.S. Bloody kids why don't they come with some sort of warning stamped on their butts!

    Off to to find more tissues,lemsip,cough medicine, sympathy any thing would be good.

    Have a happy snotty, coughing week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bub, I had no idea you had a green thumb. I've killed orchids while trying my darndest to nurture them. Just a thought, I've always had a hard time looking for a new job while still employed. My focus just isn't there and I'm generally too caught up in the I hate this job jig. In fact hubby once told me to quit my job immediately and take a mental break because nobody in their right mind would hire me with my rotten attitude. Perhaps stepping away from sales hell would help your daughter to focus on finding the right position.
    p.s. Snotty Happy Dance is an awesome label.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orchid gorgeousness! I love it when you can chop a plant and it just comes back and does it's thing without any coddling. Happy dancing on Crazy Farm for you!

    I don't do sales either. I work with a lot of designers who are glorified sales people, and I sometimes feel as if they would sell their own kidney to secure a sale. That kind of hard sell behaviour leaves me with a physical reaction of revulsion. And I hate the managers of these scions of misdirection - merely selling the kidney isn't good enough, it needs to be sold to the highest bidder. I feel for Youngest Daughter and would happily rant right along with her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha this made me giggle. Good work with Petal/Steve. I like naming my plants too. I have a little cactus I've dubbed Lord Neville.
    I hope Youngest Daughter can line something else soon! There's nothing worse that feelin stuck in a job you hate. Well, maybe if you drown in snot, that might be worse. Please don't drown in snot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the congrats regarding the orchid and commiserations regarding Youngest Daughter.

    Is: Worm free - oooh! Will a grow bag survive in the conservatory? Because there's no way I'm leaving it outside for worms to find their way in.

    Also, when's the best time to start it and when will I get tomatoes? The reason I ask is I'm due to go to Oz late spring/early summer and I'm not convinced they'd survive being left in Youngest Daughter's 'care'.

    Liz: I took echinacea, found a sachet thingy of honey, lemon & zinc (yummy) which I also took, I had lemsip (obligatory), and just before going to bed Night Nurse (disgusting) to knock myself out. I'm not sure if anything, apart from the Nurse Nurse, helped though to be honest. But then again, I was dosed up to the eyeballs and didn't care.

    Nari: The Bub Guide To Orchid Care is as follows: Place it in a steamy environment (mine's on an east facing bathroom windowsill) then ignore it - or at least pretend to. Grudgingly water it, if and when you remember and even then, don't give it much. Periodically inspect the leaves for dust/talcum powder and when the layer is quite thick, heave a BIG sigh and wipe clean them clean, while muttering about how needy your orchid is (she types with 'knowledge' having owned an orchid for all of approximately six and a half months).

    Thank you for your happiness and healing wishes - much appreciated!

    Thistle: White and fluffy Swan Flu? How elegant - my mind is agog! Although I wouldn't mind betting you don't feel too elegant. Sending lots of sympathy and hope you start to feel better soon.

    If I come across anything on the work front, I'll let you know.

    Marguerite: I had no idea either - I am amazed!

    At the moment Youngest Daughter has decided that at the end of the month, she'll resign, new job or not. She's so miserable and I hate seeing her like that. She's planning on going to Australia in October for a year, so hopefully that'll give her a big push to look for and find another job quite quickly so that she can save up.

    I'm glad you appreciated the label, because I really did do it, tissues and all!

    CGL: A second bud is opening this afternoon - yee-haaar! More dancing!!

    Youngest Daughter's managers are complete arsewipes, to put it bluntly. Not only are they pushing her to be something she's not, they totally disregard the fact that she has a life outside of work (or rather, she used to); she's almost at breaking point.

    Lenni: You will be pleased to learn I didn't drown in snot - look, I'm still here!

    Lord Neville eh? Hmm, if I get any more plants (considering getting an aloe) I might have to be a bit more imaginative with whatever I name it - Vera the Aloe Vera would be deeply boring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh how beautiful! Thats the orchid... not the visuals. Thanks. :)

    I suck at sales to Im more a "I'll solve your problem if you stop bitching at me" kinda person. Im to good at telling people all about a product - including EVERY fault its got!! I feel for Youngest Daughter, but would also encourage her to line up another job before leaving this one. I walked out on my last job and had a very uncertain few weeks until I picked up a new one.... still, it was the best thing I did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda: Hehe, I'm sorry for the visuals, but hopefully the photo of Petal managed to wipe them out.

    In an ideal world it would be best if there was another job for Y.D. to go straight into, but she's so unhappy she can't see the wood for the trees at the moment. As Marguerite said above, maybe what she needs to do is leave, chill out, look for, and hopefully find, something else.

    It's scary walking out on a job, but I'm glad you eventually managed to find a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Orchids are hard to kill. Mrs IG has one, and I've nearly killed it so many times, but it keeps on coming back! It's a bit like her, really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. IG: Bahaha! That's mean. Poor orchid. Oh, and poor Mrs IG too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, a conservatory's perfect. You can buy young plants when you come back from Oz, so as they say, no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Is. Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is beautiful. I had an orchid once...killed it in 3 days flat. $35 Bucks...down the drain.

    I've only had one job that I truly hated, and it wasn't even the job where I had to dress up in a big, damp, stinky bear suit and have small children kick me in the shins. Nope. It was the job I truly believe was my dream job...an Associate Editor of a real, honest to goodness, magazine. I lasted six whole months. The reality did NOT live up to my fantasy. Ryan gave me these two options. 1. Quit or 2. Shut up about it. And you know I can't shut up about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love orchids and Steve looks great! My mom is an orchid whisperer whenever someone has an orchid that won't flower they send it to her and she nurses it back to health! It looks you whispered steve though (That's what she said?)...

    Hope youngest daughter finds something new soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Deidre! If I've managed to become an orchid whisperer it's purely by accident. Unless your mum's method is the same as mine, which is an overall policy of ignoring it. *snort*

    ReplyDelete