With me prancing around her, ready to hotfoot it to another part of the garden if she came across what she calls ‘one of those things you don’t like’, my mum tackled the flowerbed and the rockery - weeding properly, as opposed to my pathetic attempts, which involve picking weeds, rather than digging them up.
For those of you who are new-ish to this blog (and haven’t spent six hours reading everything – sorry, I’m still gobsmacked about that), hello, my name is Bub and I have a worm phobia which pales into insignificance compared to my fear of snakes; not that there’s many of those round these here parts – I hope… although my mum has bought up the subject of slow worms which yes, I know are technically lizards, BUT;
lizard + no legs = snake.
She told me they are a protected species, so I couldn’t do anything to harm one should I ever come across one.
Harm one.
Yeah, right.
We then had a discussion about fight or flight.
When it comes to worms, snakes and now slow worms, I’m firmly in the flight category. There’s no incentive big enough to make me want to get anywhere near one, let alone harm one, not even if it involves my children.
Years ago, when Eldest Daughter was about six years old, we were walking to school, Youngest Daughter was in the pushchair and it started to rain. Being early summer, we had no coats or umbrellas, so Eldest Daughter grabbed her book bag from the tray underneath the pushchair and held it over her head.
We got to the school door, Eldest Daughter lowered the bag and I bent down to give her a kiss. I didn’t get as far as doing it, because to my horror there was a worm on the top of her head. It must have been kicked up by the pushchair wheels, got stuck on the book bag, which she’d then used as a rain shield.
I tried to contain my freakedoutness as best I could, so as not to scare the bejeebers out of her and told her to shake her head, as she had something on it.
The bastard thing stayed put.
By now, I was battling full-blown panic, Eldest Daughter was shaking her head like she was having a fit, and Youngest Daughter, being totally oblivious, was happily exploring the contents of her nose.
To my eternal shame, my I’d-do-anything-to-protect-my-offspring instinct upped and fled. “Fuck that shit,” it declared, looking over its shoulder as it disappeared into the far, far distance.
The teacher standing in the doorway, clearly wondering what was going on, came out and I, by now being unable to speak, just pointed at Eldest Daughter’s head as I backed further away. Looking at me like I’d totally lost the plot (which in all fairness, I had), the teacher calmly removed the worm.
To this day, being unable to save my own child still haunts me.
Although I’ve lived with this phobia for all these years, I’ve finally reached a point where enough is enough.
I know it’s illogical, ridiculous and downright daft.
I want to be able to comfortably walk outside after it’s been raining, with my head in the forward position rather than looking down all the time.
I want to stay calm and not have to peel myself off the ceiling if I catch a glimpse of a worm or snake on the tv, or in a book.
I want to be able to get out there and
Most importantly, I want to be able to save my children and/or grandchildren from worms on their head.
So.
Investigations are currently being made about getting this problem sorted professionally.
One day, in the not too distant future, I really hope I write a post which will include a picture of me (well, one of my hands) holding a worm.
Current Phobic Me: Gack!
Future Phobic Free Me: Bring it on!
Hi Bub,
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the phobia, I think we all have them of some sort.
The worm incident is almost surreal, that kinda thing could only happen to someone with a fear of them!
We have very few snakes/lizards here (haven't seen one in many years), but tons of.... well, you know, *those* things. Did you hate them as a kid, too? Best of luck conquering this! I know you can do it. :-)
ReplyDeleteWell done Bub, confronting fear is half the battle so you're on the way to victory!
ReplyDeleteI don't have a phobia when it comes to worms or insects but I'm definitely not a fan either. In fact, most people are surprised to hear, that as a gardener I don't like getting my hands dirty. The answer, good gloves. Amazing what you can pick up when it's not actually touching your skin. It's like a magic shield that allows me to touch the weirdest things without cringing (too much). Best of luck.
ReplyDeleteBub, good for you. There's no (real) reason for you to be kept from doing things you'd like to do by a totally irrational fear.
ReplyDeleteI also have a strong aversion to snakes, but after the first jolt of adrenaline, I'm able to pretty much go about my business.
(I'm the same person as hbierlich, just changed my Google name.)
I absolutely cannot understand the fear of earthworms, which absolutely cannot do any harm to a human, even if they want to. Nonetheless, I accept that for you, this is very real, and disabling.
I do know that the psychological folk now have a very good sucess rate in treating phobias, so: press on; the sooner, the better.
I just had to laugh at your 'incident' at school, I could see it all clear in my mind! I wonder if there was a post- it- note stuck to Eldest daughters record 'Mother unstable, handle carefully, do not ask to help in any gardening projects'.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see the photo of that thing in your hand!Or one of those long ones draped around your neck. (sorry come out under the computer desk) I am scared you might find one of those 8 legged things that have same reaction on me!
Thank goodness none of my kids had any on them because I would have passed your flight in double time :)
Liz: A friend of mine has a phobia about monkeys and freaks out if she sees one. Another friend goes totally doolally on seeing sharks (that could be down to watching the film Jaws when she was too young). My mum has a phobia about spiders - I had to liberate both her and a spider in her car one evening!
ReplyDeleteOMS: I didn't like them as a child either, although the fear has got worse as I've got older. When I was a child I remember walking through the reptile house at London Zoo while on a school trip, although I didn't linger. NO WAY would I do that now!
Is: I really hope so - even if it just sorts out the worm phobia I'd be happy. It's time to try and get over this.
Marguerite: I'm not sure that if, sorry when, I get to become a proper gardener I'd want to get my hands dirty either.
Helen: As people keep saying to me, I know worms are good for the garden. The rational side of me also knows full well they're not going to harm me, but the irrational side is way too strong - at the moment...
My ex sister-in-law had an extreme fear of spiders, moths and flies etc, and after phoning her husband (who was at work) in a blind panic and shrieking down the phone at him to get a moth out of the house, spent an afternoon at London Zoo who run a spider friendly programme and it worked a treat for her. So there's hope for me yet!
Thistle: I spoke to the teacher at the end of the day and explained it. She seemed quite sympathetic, but yes, there probably was a post-it note somewhere!
Maybe I should rename my blog 'Id Like To Hold A Worm'?! Nah, doesn't have quite the same ring to it ;)
hahahahahhahahhah ha! You really make me chuckle! I'm afraid of frogs. I wouldnt even look at houses with ponds in the garden. I also went to turn over our compost heap once and came accross a slow worm - I ran screaming into the house! So you're not on your own.
ReplyDeletehahhhahahahhahahhha! :o)
Jelliebabe: Yup, I'd have run and screamed too! The side garden here has become a bit of a dumping ground over the last couple of years and one of the reasons for my not tackling it (apart from laziness) is the possibility of slow worms. *shudder*
ReplyDeleteYou do know that worms bite? Also, if they jizz on you (they're asexual so they all do it) the semen will soak into your skin and worm egss will form in your blood and they'll travel to your brain and grow inside your head and fall down your throat into your belly and then late one night, when you're doing the sex thing with the Widow, they'll come out of your bottom.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the photo thing.
IG: Were you on the vodka again?
ReplyDelete