But gradually I became aware of a song that was being played a lot. When I began to pay proper attention to the lyrics, I really cried. It then got to a point where I couldn’t listen to it - it was too painful. I avoided it for quite a while, because I wasn’t in the right frame of mind to be able to accept the meaning of the lyrics – all I heard was negative, when it's actually a beautiful, positive song.
Now I can hear it without wanting to turn it off, although it can still occasionally catch me unawares and I find tears rolling down my face.
I know Michael BublĂ© isn’t to everyone’s musical taste, but I hope you listen to it because in many ways the lyrics are so apt.
Why am I posting this today? Because today is the second anniversary of Significant Other’s death.
I find the lead up to certain dates and the anticipation of how I think I’m going to feel is far worse than the actual day itself. The last few days have not been great, certainly not helped by yesterday’s fiasco (although I was so naffed off I took it out on the grass, a task I’d been putting off for a while), but today I feel chilled. It’s a lovely sunny day; a day for taking a walk by the river.
Here in the UK it is also Mother’s Day; my children know me so well…
I find the lead up to certain dates and the anticipation of how I think I’m going to feel is far worse than the actual day itself. The last few days have not been great, certainly not helped by yesterday’s fiasco (although I was so naffed off I took it out on the grass, a task I’d been putting off for a while), but today I feel chilled. It’s a lovely sunny day; a day for taking a walk by the river.
Here in the UK it is also Mother’s Day; my children know me so well…
My special occasion will take place later this evening, when I’ll raise my glass in loving memory.
Aw, Bub. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteHi Bub,
ReplyDeleteThinking of you, have a great day
Tears fall as I write but I am also smiling at the thought of our Hubbies. Widow World still sucks xxx
ReplyDelete{{hugs}}
ReplyDeletesad....and sorry...
ReplyDeleteA loving toast to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteHugs from up here, too.
ReplyDeletex x x
ReplyDeleteTake care, Bub!
ReplyDeleteThis is my first visit to your blog.
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is I am so very sorry for your loss, I hope your heart is not entirely broken... and that it is mending.
Bub, my reading is sadly behind and I'm only coming across this post now. I hope the day wasn't too stressful for you and you were able to think fondly of, what seems to me, were many good things in your lives together.
ReplyDeleteTo all: Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteThistle, I have no doubt whatsoever that your husband and mine are both elbow deep (at least) in boat bits, spraying copious amounts of WD40, drinking coffee and demolishing packets of biscuits between them.