...sitting quietly in my back garden yesterday afternoon, taking a break from clearing a bit of jungle in a corner of my garden, contemplating the nettle rash up both arms (note to self: wear a top with long sleeves in future, OR, don’t let the mini jungle grow in the first place), and also resting from shifting rocks - like you do (you don’t? Oh, just me then).
I was also taking a break from crunching snails underfoot, flicking spiders off me, thinking how ugly woodlice are, wondering why my hair doesn’t grow as fast as weeds seem to, being thankful I’m not a bird (I’d have to eat worms), wondering if it was too breezy for a barbecue later (yes), hoping I wasn't going to crapped on from a great height, seeing as I was working underneath a tree (I didn't), yada yada.
I’d been sitting there for a while, drinking my well earned John Smith’s (let me help you out - ‘geezer bird’ is the phrase you’re after), picking bits of weed off my t-shirt, when I heard part of what I assumed to be a phone conversation taking place.
As it’s so quiet round here, voices carry, but people seem to think their gardens are soundproof. And we all know they’re not. You’d think.
I wasn’t really taking much notice until I heard a laugh followed by, “do you like uniforms?”
Hello?!
With hindsight, I could have made my presence known by making a noise. But where's the fun in that?
I’m not going to relay the conversation word for word, because it was one-sided and I missed some of it as I had to dive indoors due to being overcome by a giggling fit. But some of it covered:
men’s uniform (“ooh, I like a man in uniform”) (Fireman’s? Policeman’s? Captain’s? Sainsbury’s?)
nurses uniform (1.“short” plus 2.“bed bath”) (1. I’d have thought that’s a given in those circumstances 2. Oh good grief)
school uniform (I’m not even going there)
underwear (“lacy”) (phew, coulda been a lot worse)
lettuce (wtf?? I must have missed something important, or led a sheltered life)
rabbits (ah, that’d explain the lettuce)
Who needs the radio? I’ll just sit in my back garden in future and tune in to real life Desperate Housewives!
No comments:
Post a Comment